GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF POSITION:
Works in coordination with members of the medical team to provide selected supervised patient services. Assesses and evaluates nursing care provided by team members. Develops high-quality nursing intervention for the individual patient and/or patients and/or family. Makes physical appraisal and through assessments on health care needs. Plans and administers nursing care which strives to match his/her skill level. Does anticipatory guidance and health counseling. Requires use of independent judgment. To be directly responsible to the Director or designee in charge regarding nurse practitioner management and responsible to the Chief Medical Officer.
DETAILED DESCRIPTION OF POSITION DUTIES:
- Obtain a health, psychosocial history and report findings in systematic, accurate and succinct form.
- Performs those routine medical treatments and diagnostic procedures for which he/she is qualified by training and which fall within the normal scope of practice for said position.
- Order/perform and interpret routine laboratory tests.
- Develops a health promotion and maintenance plan; including disease prevention and health education and counseling.
- Provides assessment, education and management for patient/family.
- Provides care for selected complicated patients as directed by the physician; and arrange referrals as needed to other members of the health-care team.
- Guides, develops skills and nursing intervention in the team area.
- Participates in promoting community health through performance of physical appraisals and screening procedures in outside agencies.
- Establishes priorities.
- Carries out many procedures exercising independent judgment.
- Periodically participates in peer review or medical records audits.
- Keeps records of activities and performances of Nursing Staff.
- Attends and participates in team conferences and meeting as required.
- Develops and provides in-service education for staff.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Has training in all phases of nursing.
- Has excellent personal manner in meeting and caring for patients.
- Has ability to work with doctors and nurses.
- Has ability to follow instructions and make reports.
- Has ability to counsel patients, parents, and friends of patients.
- Has ability to interpret laboratory data and to spot problem areas.
- Has ability to direct and supervise staff
Must have a license; three (3) years of experience preferred. A registered nurse who has satisfactorily completed a formal family nurse practitioner educational program. Two (2) years supervisory experience desired. Current nurse’s registration by Georgia Board of Nursing.
TYPICAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
Requires full range of body motion including handling and lifting patients, manual and finger dexterity and eye-hand coordination. Requires standing and walking fro prolonged periods of time. Occasionally lifts and carries items weighing up to 100 pounds. Requires corrected vision and hearing to normal range. Requires working under stressful conditions and/or working irregular hours. Requires exposure to communicable diseases or bodily fluids.
TYPICAL WORKING CONDITIONS:
Frequent exposure to communicable diseases, toxic substances, ionizing radiation, medicinal preparations and others common to clinic environment.