GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF POSITION:
Directly responsible to the Optometrist: performs services in the area of optometry.
DETAILED DESCRIPTION OF POSITION DUTIES:
- Appropriately greet patients.
- Help fit patients with eyeglasses, following the prescription provided by optometrist and/or ophthalmologist.
- Give specifications to laboratory technician regarding prescription, material and size needed for proper lens generation.
- Be able to properly take spectacle measurements (i.e. seg height, pupillarity distance).
- Operate manual lensometer and keratometer.
- Must be able to read and be comfortable working with prism glasses.
- Be able to select the appropriate frame to according to prescription and patient’s facial features.
- Be able fix and fit glasses under ANSI standards.
- Instruct customers on the use and care of their glasses.
- Optician will have administrative duties, such as keeping records of payments, patients’ prescriptions, inventory, sales and work orders.
- Must have knowledge of contact lenses.
- Be able to teach insertion and removal and proper care of contact lenses.
- Manage inventory (frames and contact lenses) to ensure optimum patient satisfaction and product variety.
- Maintains working knowledge of competitive products and prices.
- Reports low stock on fast moving merchandise.
- Properly document sales for standard procedure.
- Complete all required reports within a timely fashion.
- Keep displays of merchandise clean, dusted and polished.
- Do what is necessary to assure fulfilling the responsibility to patients.
- Initiates registration forms, assigns number and checks all forms for completeness and accuracy.
- Verifies insurance with proper source.
- Assists in daily collection and completion of encounter data.
- Maintains confidentiality of patient information (HIPAA).
- Make referrals to other units of services, i.e., DFACS, Social Services, Dental, etc.
- Re-evaluates patients as needed and in accordance with Center’s policy.
- Maintains an organized, clean and safe work environment for maximal efficiency.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to communicate effectively and relate to public in a pleasing manner.
- Good understanding of optometric procedures.
- Must be knowledgeable of technical aspect of glasses and frames.
- Knowledge of data entry skills.
- Ability to use mature judgement in the performance of duties.
- Knowledge of billing procedures.
High School graduate. Adaptable, pleasant personality. Sensitive to the needs of the patient. Computer literate. Must have current license. ABO and NCLE certification desired. At least (2) years of practice under licensed Optician.