GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF POSITION:
Reports to the Clinical Health Educator. The position provides Medical Nutrition Therapy (MNT), which involves assessment, education and counseling of members with diabetes mellitus and all other medical/health problems.
DETAILED DESCIPTION OF POSITION:
- Develops educational plan that takes into consideration individualized nutrition status, educational level, readiness to learn and barriers.
- Assists with planning and oversight of education intervention.
- Serves as a member of the DSME instructional team; co-facilitator of DSME educational classes.
- Reviews samples of the instructional material on an annual basis to ensure they support the DSME program curriculum.
- Determines and implements appropriate nutrition prescription and/or food plan.
- Communicates with practitioners and makes recommendations for outcomes of MNT and self-management education.
- Provides education and counseling on an individual basis or in a group setting.
- Assists with data collection to determine the clinical and behavioral outcomes of the DSME program.
- Adheres to HIPPA guidelines regarding confidentiality of medical information.
- Serves as a member of the Diabetes Collaborative Workgroup Advisory Committee.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Investigates problems, irregularities and policy violations and takes corrective action and follow-up when necessary.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent teaching and interpersonal skills.
- Basic computer and typing skills.
B.S. Degree in Nutrition/Dietetics or in Home Economics with a Nutrition/Dietetic emphasis. Internship following completion of degree. Current Registered Dietitian (RD), licensed in the State of Georgia. Certified Diabetes Educator (CDE), preferred.
TYPICAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
Requires sitting for long periods of time. Some bending and stretching required. Working under stress and use of telephone required. Manual dexterity for use of computer keyboard.
TYPICAL WORKING CONDITIONS:
Normal office environment. Occasional evening or weekend work. Travel between medical officers, as needed.