Works in coordination with members of the medical team to provide selected supervised patient services. Assesses and evaluates nursing care provided by team members. Develops high-quality nursing intervention for the individual patient and/or patient’s family. Makes physical appraisal and thorough assessments on health care needs. Plans and administers nursing care which strives to match her skill level. Does anticipatory guidance and health counseling. Requires use of independent judgment. To be directly responsible to the Director of OB/GYN or the acting Physician. In charge regarding nurse practitioner management and responsible to the Director of Nursing regarding management of nursing staff.
DETAILED DESCRIPTION OF POSITION DUTIES:
- Obtains a health, Psychosocial and obstetric-gynecologic history and record findings in a systematic, accurate and succinct form.
- Performs a physical examination with specific emphasis on evaluation of the breasts, abdomen and pelvis, including speculum, bi-manual and retro-vaginal examination.
- Orders/performs and interprets routine laboratory tests.
- Develops a health promotion and maintenance plan; including disease prevention and health education and counseling.
- Provides periodic health supervision of normal, non-pregnant and asymptomatic women.
- Provides clinical management of women having minor gynecologic illness.
- Provides assessment, education and management for family planning.
- Provides ambulatory prenatal care for women with uncomplicated pregnancies with attention to both maternal and fetal health.
- Provides ambulatory postpartum care for women who have had an uncomplicated pregnancy, with attention to parent-infant relationships.
- Provides general health education and counseling, with emphasis on physical and psychosocial dimensions of nutrition, adolescence, sexuality, childbearing, parenting, climacteric, and family life.
- Provides care for selected complicated patients as directed by the physician; and arranges referrals as needed to other members of the health=care team.
- Guides, develops skills and nursing intervention in the team area.
- Participates in promoting community health through performance of physical appraisals and screening procedures in outside agencies.
- Establishes priorities for home visiting.
- 15. Carries out many procedures exercising independent judgment.
- Periodically participates in team conferences and meeting as required.
- Keeps records of activities an performances of nursing staff.
- Attends and participates in team conference and meetings as required.
- Develops and provides in-service education for OB/GYN staff.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Has training in all phases of nursing.
- Has excellent personal manner in meeting and caring for patients.
- Has ability to work with doctors and nurses.
- Has ability to follow instructions and make reports.
- Has ability to counsel patients, parents and friends of patient.
- Has ability to interpret laboratory data and to spot problem areas.
- Has ability to direct and supervise staff.
Must have a current license; three (3) years of experience preferred. A Registered Nurse who has satisfactorily completed a formal nurse obstetrical-gynecologic nurse practitioner educational program. At least two years supervisory experience. Current nurses registration by Georgia Board of Nursing.